As moms, we wear many hats, and can easily experience overwhelm on a daily basis. The responsibilities of being a mom, wife, employee, etc, can easily take its toll.
the biggest responsibility we have is to take care of ourselves. Stress
can have a harmful effect on both our physical and emotional
well-being. To help alleviate this, it helps if we adopt a more positive
perspective. Focusing on gratitude, being in the moment and above all,
prayer, will help you find more joy and peace of mind.
• Think of your day in small chunks of time instead of your whole daily schedule. To prevent myself from stressing over the whole day’s schedule, I organize my day around time blocks. Each night I write out what needs to be done and schedule each item so I can focus on one thing at a time and one hour at a time. It also helps to focus on being in the present and take joy in what you’re capable of doing instead of being overwhelmed of what you have to do.
• Focus on Scripture throughout the day. Stress can be overwhelming and often sadness and anger can ensue. The last thing I want to do is take it out on my family. To keep myself balanced, I always keep Scripture close by so I can refer to it to reflect on the big picture. It helps me remember that He is in charge and He will help me do what’s best for me and my family.
• Have gratitude. In the midst of all our problems, we can be burdened by our negative thoughts. But when I turn my thoughts around and start being thankful for what I have and what I am capable of doing, when I look at problems as opportunities instead of challenges, I remember that I am truly blessed. I can easily complain about all the errands I have to do, the children having tantrums, and my husband not calling when he arrives home late. But when I turn it around and start being grateful for what I have instead, all the stress starts to dissipate. I become grateful that I can afford to buy food for my family. I become grateful that God has given my husband and I these beautiful children that bring so much love into our lives. And I become so grateful for my husband who puts in extra time at his job so he can provide for us. Gratitude is very healing. The more gratitude you show, the more joy you will feel. Try it!
• Pray for guidance. Remember to pray for guidance. I know that He is in control, but sometimes in order to give myself peace of mind, I will ask Him for help. I know that He is always by our side, leading us in the right direction. By talking to Him and knowing that He is listening, it makes me feel 100% better.
• Remember to have moments of joy with your family. Loads of laundry, dishes piling in the sink, e-mails to answer, etc. These are things I cannot ignore if I’m going to run a household. But when my kids ask me to play with them, I have to ask myself, what’s more important right now? Sure, I want to keep a clean home, but sometimes that can wait. Spending time with my family and giving them the love and attention that they deserve takes priority over everything else.